YMCA Greater Springfield Summer Camp - Lifeguard & Aquatics Instructor Camp Fun City in United States
For 165 years, the YMCA of Greater Springfield has provided youth development, fostered healthy living, and promoted social responsibility in the 14 cities and towns that it serves.We take pride in being one of the largest non-school educators in the state, one of the top 120 YMCAs in the U.S., and the second oldest Y in the country.
We are currently looking for a Summer Camp - Lifeguard / Swim Instructor to join our team. Whether you are interested in joining a leading non-profit or looking to advance your Y career, this is your opportunity to help make our community better together. The Y. ™ For a better us. ™
Please note that any and all offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check, reference check, and new hire packet. In roles where driving is required as an essential function, a driver history check must also be successfully completed.
This person will play an important part in the work that we do each day. In addition to all other duties as assigned, this role will:
Ensure a safe environment within a given aquatics area by maintaining a high level of alertness, conducting area patrols, and localized emergency assistance
Actively work to prevent incidents related to aquatic programming and areas.
- Serve as a certified first responder at a given Y site and actively administer first aid or other emergency procedures.
- Grow the water safety skills of program participants, members, and the general community.
- Provide individual and group instruction as needed.
- Provide participants with a fun and safe atmosphere that fosters learning and personal development of the Y's core values: caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Organizing and maintaining instructor lesson plans, lifeguard checklists, administrative paperwork, and attendance. Actively engage children in participation while showing patience, respect and understanding for each child.
- Serve alongside membership and wellness as one of our key customer-facing roles.
- Ensure the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of all aquatics programs for all who walk through our doors.
The requirements and preferences (where indicated) for this role are listed below. Please review them carefully to ensure that you apply for the role that best matches your qualifications. Additional years of professional experience or a Rank of E-5 or better may be used in lieu of education requirements where permitted.
High School Diploma/GED or within one year of anticipated graduation
Earn, hold, and maintain CPR, First Aid, AED, and O2 certifications within 60 days of start
- Be able and willing to administer CPR, First Aid, AED, and O2
- At least 1 year of customer-facing experience (e.g. team manager, retail lead, customer service)
- Be able to satisfactorily complete a pre-work swim test as a condition of employment
- Exhibit a strong sense of conviciton and responsibility, while demonstrating sound decision-making skills
While each of our leadership competencies plays a role in the success of our staff members, for this role we will be paying especial attention to the areas of:
Community - Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs
Inclusion - Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions
Relationships - Builds rapport, relates well to others, and uses relationships to create small groups/communities
Communication - Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively
Quality Results - Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We are proud to be a champion of diversity and an equal employment opportunity / affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to:
Sit, stand, or reach for extended periods of time;
Move around the work environment independently;
Communicate via computer, multi-line phone, and smart-phone; and,
Push, pull, or lift up to 25 pounds for short periods of time.
The noise level in the work place is usually moderate, but may vary based on a number of external factors.
Hiring Manager: Cesar Carattini
Minimum: USD $14.00/Hr.
Maximum: USD $15.00/Hr.
End Date: 5/27/2018