YMCA Greater Springfield Summer Camp - Aquatics Director Camp Weber in United States
For 165 years, the YMCA of Greater Springfield has provided youth development, fostered healthy living, and promoted social responsibility in the 14 cities and towns that it serves.We take pride in being one of the largest non-school educators in the state, one of the top 120 YMCAs in the U.S., and the second oldest Y in the country.
We are currently looking for an Aquatics Director for our Summer Camps to join our team. Whether you are interested in joining a leading non-profit or looking to advance your Y career, this is your opportunity to help make our community better together. The Y. ™ For a better us. ™
Please note that any and all offers of employment are contingent on the successful completion of a background check, reference check, and new hire packet. In roles where driving is required as an essential function, a driver history check must also be successfully completed.
This person will play an important part in the work that we do each day. In addition to all other duties as assigned, this role will:
Provide direct responsibility for the safety and well-being of all participants through qualified instructors and lifeguards.
Coordinate swimming instruction within context of the National YMCA Aquatic Program and any other cooperating Organization.
- Instruct all levels of classes effectively and lead by example for staff and members.
- Maintain the records and reports required by the standards of the State Bathing Codes.
- Oversees the operation of pool maintenance, chemical balance and filtration system, in association with the Springfield Family Center Maintenance Department.
- Remains current in the field through certifications and training.
- Provide training and reviews for all the staff and volunteers through personal consultations, conferences, special courses and clinics.
- Represent the association and maintain its relationships with other organizations in the community including Town Recreation Department and Education Departments.
- Hours are Monday - Friday 7:00 am to 4:00 pm with assigned Pre/Post Camp (Before & After).
- Adhering and enforcing camp protocols and safety.
- Executes/implements all activities for enrolled children.
- Monitors the camp area at all times to ensure the safety of all participants, making immediate changes to ensure an accident free environment exist.
- Provides a positive environment for all participants, and actively encourages participation to ensure growth and development.
- Exemplifies appropriate behavior and the YMCA core values in addition to being a role model for participants; actively listens to all children and shows patience, understanding, and respect for others.
- Instructs participants on the rules of the camp and ensures adherence; redirects children only when appropriate and within the established guidelines of the YMCA.
- Ensures the camp facility remains neat, clean, orderly, and free of all safety impediments.
- Develops and fosters interpersonal relationships between participants, parents and staff members, to create an environment of cooperation, friendliness, and helpfulness toward others.
- Must be able to perform duties in pool area ensuring safety and well-being of all participants.
- Will be required to get into water and participate in water activities with children.
- All other duties as assigned and applicable in making for a successful environment.
- Must be available May 2-August 26. Vacations or time off from the camp season are not allowed.
- All other duties as may be assigned.
The requirements and preferences (where indicated) for this role are listed below. Please review them carefully to ensure that you apply for the role that best matches your qualifications. Additional years of professional experience or a Rank of E-5 or better may be used in lieu of education requirements where permitted.
Must have CPR, First Aid, AED and Oxygen certifcations.
Must be Lifeguard Certified by ASHI or American Red Cross.
- Working knowledge of indoor and outdoor swimming pool operation and maintenance.
- Proven experience in leadership, and direction to an Aquatics program.
- Working knowledge of program design and implementation.
- 4+ plus years lifeguarding experience preferred
- All candidates must successfully complete lifeguard training and orientation.
- 4+ plus years customer service, relations, or membership experience required.
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- YMCA Experience Preferred.
While each of our leadership competencies plays a role in the success of our staff members, for this role we will be paying especial attention to the areas of:
Values - Accepts and demonstrates the Y's values.
Inclusion - Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions.
Communication - Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively.
- Decision Making - Makes sound judgements, and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Emotional Intelligence - Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths, and limitations, as well as how they impact relationships.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We are proud to be a champion of diversity and an equal employment opportunity / affirmative action employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to:
Sit, stand, or reach for extended periods of time;
Move around the work environment independently;
Communicate via computer, multi-line phone, and smartphone; and,
Push, pull, or lift up to 25 pounds for short periods of time.
The noise level in the work place is usually moderate, but may vary based on a number of external factors.
Hiring Manager: Cesar Carattini
Minimum: USD $14.00/Hr.
Maximum: USD $16.00/Hr.
End Date: 5/27/2018