Google Network Engineering Intern, Summer 2018 in Sydney, Australia
Applications for this role have now closed.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We're always on call to keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
As a Network Engineering Intern, you will have an opportunity to work with one of the largest network infrastructures on the planet, spanning two wide area backbones, nearly a hundred points of presence around the world, and data center networks with petabits of capacity. Interns work on a variety of challenging operational problems, such as fault diagnosis and root-cause analysis, performance measurement, and large-scale management automation. You will work alongside Google engineers, and employ a variety of techniques including data collection and correlation, machine learning, instrumentation and measurement, and topology graph analysis. Your work will contribute to improving the scaling, availability, and efficiency of the network that powers all of Google’s services.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to tackle some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Collaborate closely with your mentor and other members of the network operations team to identify and develop solutions based on data analysis, algorithm design, software systems, etc.
- Produce documentation of problems being addressed, solution designs, and results and ensure continued optimized operation of the global network infrastructure.
- Support Google's internal application groups by identifying and presenting their network-impacting requirements to the rest of the Network Engineering team.
- Support and lead the implementation of Google's network infrastructure and solve complex networking issues.
- Produce code artifacts using Google’s engineering tools, testing infrastructure, and best practices for Software systems projects.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or other related technical field.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the end of the internship.
- Experience with networking concepts and systems (e.g., routing and transport protocols, scalable and reliable system design, SDN, network management, cloud networking).
- Operational experience in data center or wide area networks.
- Network or system management automation experience.
- Software development experience in Go, Python, or C++.
- Knowledge in related disciplines such as distributed systems, data analysis, statistical analysis, machine learning, and software engineering.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.