Kansas State University Libraries Instructor (Salina Upward Bound Program - Summer) in Salina, Kansas
About This Role:
The Upward Bound Program at K-State Polytechnic, Salina, Kansas, seeks applicants for a temporary staff assistant/instructor. In this capacity, the staff assistant will teach Foreign Language during the summer program for low-income and/or first generation college-bound students. Summer program Foreign Language class is held in Salina, Kansas from June 5-28, 2018.
Why Join Us:
Upward Bound is a campus-based TRIO program designed to assist area high school students with additional academic preparation, advisement, and encouragement to succeed in high school and later in college.
The Upward Bound Program participants are involved in the program from the time they are selected for participation until they graduate from high school. The program offers a six-week summer program which consists of residential and non-residential components and Saturday sessions during the academic year. Students must meet family income guidelines and/or be first-generation college-bound.
There is no cost for participation in the program.
We Support Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks individuals whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's dedication to the Principles of Community.
Duties / Responsibilities:
The Staff Assistant will:
- Serve as an Instructor for the summer Upward Bound Program at K-State Polytechnic (UB-Polytechnic), Department of Educational and Personal Development.
- Receive teaching responsibilities from an office staff which includes the Director, Academic Services Coordinator, and Office Specialist.
- Provide summer instruction to Upward Bound high school students.
- Teach 3 classes Tuesday-Thursday for 4 weeks.
- Provide attendance sheets on a weekly basis to UB staff.
- Attend weekly faculty meetings and 1-day training.
- Submit time sheets during the week of payroll by Thursday at 12:00 noon in order for payroll to be processed.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor’s Degree – college, secondary or elementary certification.
- At least one year of teaching experience.
- Should have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interpret and understand Federal guidelines related to TRIO programs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of grammar and English usage.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of subject matter (Foreign Language).
- Must be able to communicate course content clearly and creatively.
- Must be able to develop course design, content, and selections of materials.
- Must be able to develop specific curricula -- incorporating skills and applications for specific classes -- for effective learning.
- Must incorporate ACT math test preparation activities into courses.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must demonstrate enthusiasm and be able to motivate high school students.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately and continues until position is filled.
$10.00-$35.00 per hour
Please note: the minimum pay rate for this position is $10.00 per hour. Actual pay rate will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670009180 Education and Personal Develop
Job no: 503014
Work type: Temporary Full-time
Location: Salina, Kansas
Categories: Education / Instructional
Advertised: 28 Mar 2018 Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled