Jewish Community Center Senior Summer Camp Counselor in Owings Mills, Maryland
Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper.The Counselor is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Length of Position:
- June 25, 2018 - August 17, 2018- approx. hours 8:30-4:30pm
- Attend Camp Orientation
- June 6th 6-9pm
- June 19th -22nd times vary
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Assures campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by Health Care Manager.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems; discuss with camp health manager and/or camp director when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Represent the camp when interacting with parents or community members.
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their campers to have a successful camp experience.
- Follow safety and security protocols when campers are in public while presenting a positive image of the camp.
Other Job Duties:
- Provide supervision for campers while campers are transported to and from camp or during scheduled field trips off of camp property.
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
- Identify other tasks or duties that this position may be expected to perform but are not necessarily the primary focus of this position.
Work Environment:The work environment is usually fast paced. This job requires high energy and interaction with staff as well as with members, other agency staff, community leaders, and outside partners, vendors, others.
__Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to _use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear._*The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.*
__*The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.*
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required.The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise.This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Must be 18 years of age or high school graduate.
- Ability to interact with all age levels.
- Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of the development needs of youth.
- Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in program areas designated camp program areas.
JCC membership is like becoming a part of a family, everyone truly is welcome! Drop by and take a tour; you won't believe how many wonderful recreational, educational, social and cultural activities you will find here. There really is something for everyone! Members enjoy a wide variety of benefits including free group fitness classes and use of our Fitness Center, Aquatics Center, Parenting Center, Teen Center and Performing Arts Center. Special member rates save you money on many classes and events as well
The Jewish Community Center offers Annual and Summer Memberships for families, individuals, couples, students and adults 65+.
Date Posted: 05/04/2018
Title: Senior Summer Camp Counselor
JCC: JCC of Greater Baltimore
Location: Owings Mills, MD