IDEO Interaction Design Summer Internship in New York, New York
IDEO helps companies innovate. We design products, services, environments, and digital experiences for organizations seeking new ways to provide value to their customers. IDEO creates visible and tangible strategies for innovation and executes all aspects of design and development, from conception through production.
Design Interns work collaboratively, creatively, and flexibly within interdisciplinary teams and with our clients. Being a designer at IDEO means you do a lot of listening, observing, brainstorming and iterating with a group of people with backgrounds very different than yours. This diversity of thought and approach results in breakthrough ideas that lead to innovative outcomes.
IDEOs human-centered design process involves careful observations of people; gathering insights from those observations and other creative perspectives; exploring and defining design opportunities; helping to define strategy; creating tangible design expressions, and communicating the essence of these ideas.
The ideal candidate has strong visualization and prototyping skills in addition to being comfortable working within multidisciplinary teams. Candidates should demonstrate an ability to work across a range of projects, from product interaction to software tools and applications on the web. Prototyping and production skills are essential, as well as a passion for design and a point of view about your work. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio.
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU:
* Youre great at turning human behavior and needs into real concepts.
* You are obsessed with what design and technology could do for people.
* You understand basic human-centered design philosophy, are comfortable with ambiguity and want to push design methodologies.
* Youre open. You take chances, arent afraid to fail and learn along the way, and can handle the unexpected with a smile. Youre energized by surprise and passionate about pushing beyond expectations.
* You love working in teams and across disparate groups, and you enjoy diving into design projects of every stripe. Youre the ultimate collaborator, but youre also a self-starter.
DEPTH IN ONE OR MORE OF THESE AREAS:
* Systems - logically visualizing complex systems, user interaction flows, and beautiful user interface. Experience with prototyping tools including Framer, Principle, Flinto, Invision, Principle, AE, Keynote, etc
* Service - designing interactions as part of a greater service; being thoughtful about how the orchestration of the service may impact how someone will interact with a specific touchpoint
* Visual - best practices of graphic design (grid, hierarchy, color, typography, etc) to create beautiful and engaging visual user interfaces. Design tools including Adobe Creative Suite and Sketch.
* Motion - 2D/3D animation and dynamic elements that enhance a digital experience
* Digital Products - experience building, prototyping, and continually evolving digital products throughout the product lifecycle
WHAT GETS US EXCITED:
* Experience in creating a digital design at a high fidelity.
* Comfort using prototyping tools to convey movement and functionality of concepts and demonstrate excellent communication skills to clearly articulate design decisions.
* A passion for design, a pulse on emerging trends and technology, and a developed point of view about your work.
SOME PREVIOUS PROJECTS TO CHECK OUT:
FloodHelpNY:A platform for engaging and informing New York City homeowners about how they can protect their home and finances from flooding
A Digital Literacy App for Young Learners:Designing an adaptive, game-based experience for classrooms in Brazil
GE Healthcare:To optimize the effectiveness of their CT scanner, GE Healthcare hired IDEO to redesign the console...