Google Technical Writer Intern, Summer 2018 in Mountain View, California
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Seattle, WA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; New York, NY, USA
Technical Writers take complex information and communicate it clearly, concisely, and accurately without relying on technical or corporate jargon. With a unique cross-functional perspective, technical writers at Google are the key link between our engineers, marketing associates, developer advocates, and external developers. You juggle a variety of writing projects, such as technical concept documents, how-to guides, example code, FAQs, and product announcements.
As a Technical Writer for Google's developer products, you'll contribute to one of several web sites that educate developers about new tools and technologies for building web, mobile, and cloud-based apps. You'll work with other Technical Writers, Engineers, and Product Managers to determine which new developer features need documentation, then create document plans, draft new developer guides, and resolve issues with existing documentation to keep it up to date.
Before you apply, please read these instructions:
Step 1:Include a writing sample that demonstrates your ability to write clear and compelling documentation. Please do not submit any documents that contain proprietary or confidential information, as we will not be able to review them.
Step 2:Provide the following information: How much of the content did you write? If you only wrote portions of the document, tell us which portions you wrote. Does the document represent original writing or does the document represent existing content that you revised? Where did you obtain the information to write the document? Was the document edited? If so, by whom? Provide any additional useful context for the sample, such as deadlines, achievements, etc.
Step 3: Combine your writing sample with your resume to create ONE PDF ATTACHMENT—this should be added to the 'Resume Section' listed below.
Step 4:Click on the 'Apply Now' button on this page to provide the following required materials in the appropriate sections (PDFs preferred):
- In the 'Resume Section' attach an updated resume AND writing sample (please upload the resume and writing sample together as ONE document) in English.
- In the 'Education Section' attach a current unofficial or official transcript in English. (Under 'Degree Status', select 'Now attending' to upload a transcript.)
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Write documents for internal and external developers, such as technical concept documents, implementation instructions, and API how-to guides.
- Collaborate with product managers, software engineers, and other technical writers to plan documentation for new developer features and products.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documents written by others, and coach non-writers on ways to improve their writing; interview engineers, product managers, and technical account managers to compile critical information.
- Research technical topics by reading related code and write and/or review sample code for documentation.
- Work in UNIX and online environments within various revision control systems.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time degree program, pursuing a Bachelor's degree and returning to the program after the end of the internship.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Expected graduation date in late 2018 or Spring/Summer of 2019.
- Experience with online publishing or web development, and proficiency in technical writing, product documentation, journalism, or related writing disciplines.
- Familiarity with source code management, build systems, and related processes, with the ability to quickly learn and use technology.
- Flexibility in managing work on fast-paced and ambiguous projects.
- An expert command of writing technology-focused copy that builds confidence and helps developers understand and implement a new technology.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.