University of Kansas Student JDI Assoc/Assist Director - Summer in Lawrence, Kansas
*NOTE: this posting is for two positions with different degrees of responsibility and time commitments. Please indicate in your cover letter which position you would prefer. *
The Student Hourly Associate Director will work with the Director in preparation for the JDI. This person will coordinate the logistics of the camp and be the primary contact person for parents. This includes but is not limited to: placing campers in labs, responding to parent emails, taking phone calls from parents, handling the pre-registration process, working with student housing to establish dorms for the camp, assigning staff files to cut for the camp, and setting up classrooms for the camp tournament. This is a full time student hourly position that begins May 21, 2018 and ends July 28, 2018.
The Student Hourly Assistant Director will serve as an assistant to the Director and Associate Director in all aspects of preparation for the JDI. This includes but is not limited to: assist with placing campers in labs, assist with parent communication, running the camp website, and corresponding and coordinating with staff about assignments pre-arrival. This is a full time student hourly position that begins May 21, 2018 and ends July 28, 2018.
Associate Director: $15.00/hour minimum Assistant Director: $10.00/hour minimum
- Both the Associate & Assistant Director are responsible for the following:
- During the JDI, assist in office duties, including but not limited to: answering phone calls, coordinating student check-outs from parents with campers, organizing files for distribution to labs, and management of relations between housing and staff.
- Judge tournament debates.
- Participate in all camp activities.
- The successful applicant must be able to listen to and follow directions.
- Student employees must have valid driver’s license.
Associate & Assistant Director:
- Must be an active member of the NDT/CEDA policy debate community as stated in application materials.
- Previous leadership experience as indicated in application materials or previous work experience
- During the semester term of the appointment, the student hourly must be enrolled in no fewer than 6 credit hours. For summer periods the student hourly must: 1) have been enrolled in no less than 6 hours in the past spring semester or 2) be pre-enrolled in upcoming fall semester in no less than 6 hours or 3) be enrolled in summer session or 4) be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester. Student Hourlies may be undergraduate or graduate students. (Exceptions granted for GRA/GTA/GA appointments DO NOT apply to Student Hourly appointments).
Associate & Assistant Director:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies or a related field.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Previous experience working at a debate camp.
Contact Information to Applicants
Scott Harris email@example.com 785-864-9878
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application will include a cover letter and a resume or CV. Apply online and submit a letter describing your qualifications for this position. Only complete applications will be considered.
Application review begins 5/4/18. To ensure consideration submit application by 11:59PM on 5/1/18.
40 hours per week with the possibility of overtime between May 21, 2018 and July 28, 2018.
Advertised Salary Range: Assoc Director - $15.00/hr minimum; Asst Director - $10.00/hr minimum
Application Review Begins: 04-May-2018
Work Location: Lawrence
Anticipated Start Date: 21-May-2018