Conservation Corps YCC Corpsmember-Flagstaff- Summer 2018 in Flagstaff, Arizona
Youth Conservation Corpsmember Responsibilities:
As a Youth Conservation Corpsmember your #1 responsibility is SAFETY. You are also expected to work effectively as member of crew; perform heavy manual labor related to environmental conservation and restoration projects; work outdoors in all types of weather and successfully adapts to various climates; effectively learn and apply new environmental conservation and restoration skills and outdoor living skills; actively participate in team building and education activities; practice appropriate safety procedures in all tasks assigned; use, maintain and repair hand and power tools as necessary.
Essential functions of this position include standing to do manual labor; walking between work sites; lifting and carrying (up to 50 lbs); working with and around other crew and the public; vision acuity (far) for watching weather and for direction of travel and safety issues; hearing and speech for communicating with team.
We are a non residential, drug-free organization; alcohol and illegal substances are prohibited. The Corpsmember must supply his/her own personal outdoor gear and equipment such as a day pack, work pants, hiking/ work boots. We will provide the uniform shirt, tools, protective gear and transportation to projects.
*Project Work: *
We work with a variety of land management agencies in Arizona, such as the United States Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management and State Parks. Projects vary but include ecosystem restoration, habitat restoration, fencing on public lands, trail construction and maintenance, archaeological preservation and protection, invasive weed removal, tamarisk removal, herbicide applications, and many others.
Schedule and Typical Day:
The typical schedule is forty hours a week. Corpsmembers are generally scheduled four days per week, Monday through Thursday. The day starts at your crews meeting site at 7:00 AM with a stretch circle and safety meeting. The day includes two fifteen minute breaks, a half hour lunch and ends at 5:30 PM at your crew’s meeting site.
June 4, 2018 - July 20, 2018
Corpsmembers enrolled in AmeriCorps are paid a living stipend of $310 per week on a bi-weekly pay period. Corpsmembers enrolled in AmeriCorps receive a $1,230.69 education award at the completion of their 300 hour service commitment. Your work with the Youth Conservation Corps will be 300 hours of scheduled service work.
*Preferred Candidates are 17 or 18 and local to the YCC communities. *
Participant Essential Eligibility Requirements:
Essential eligibility requirements for the program must be met. If you are unable to meet certain requirements, we may be able to assist you with some modification unless it alters the fundamental nature of the program, compromises the health and safety of participants or staff, or places an undue financial or administrative burden on the organization. These requirements are written the same for all positions and therefore may not apply directly to your particular position.
Participation and Expedition Behavior:
- Work effectively as a member of a team despite potentially stressful and difficult conditions. This may require problem solving on an interpersonal or group level as well as a willingness to accept differences.
- Contribute to a safe learning environment; no harassment of others for any reason.
- Willingness and ability to complete all aspects of the program including conservation projects, education, training and national service. Members must commit to participating in all crew/team activities, including service days in local communities where applicable.
- Effectively communicate ideas and concerns as they arise directly to supervisors, colleagues and organization staff.
- Have the cognitive ability to learn necessary skills and apply them to effectively carry out the service work requirements
- Appropriately represent the Program and AmeriCorps to the public and project partners at all times.
Safety and Judgment:
- Effectively communicate danger to others in the form of either a warning of danger others may be encountering or a notification of personal distress, injury or need for assistance. You must be able to do so at a distance of up to 50 meters and in conditions with limited visibility or loud background noise such as darkness or high winds.
- Effectively perceive, understand and follow direction by others so that you will be able to successfully execute appropriate and perhaps unfamiliar techniques to manage hazards. These directions may be given before the hazard is encountered or may need to be given during exposure to the hazard.
- Stay alert and focused for several hours at a time while traveling and working in varied weather conditions
- Perceive and comprehend significant and apparent hazards, including those hazards previously identified by others.
- Respond appropriately to stress or crises.
- If taking prescription medications, participants must be able to maintain proper dosage by self-medicating without assistance from others.
- Learn and practice ‘Leave no Trace’ techniques
- Outdoor Skills and Fitness (where appropriate)
- Learn and safely perform fundamental outdoor living/travel and work skills as appropriate to the project. Additionally, remain adequately hydrated, fed, and properly dressed so as to remain generally healthy and safe, avoiding environmental injuries.
- Live in a physically demanding, possibly remote environment for an uninterrupted period of up to several weeks. Conditions of this environment may vary significantly and may include severe and/or trying weather. The remoteness is such that it may require at a minimum one hour, but perhaps in excess of 12 hours, to reach the nearest advanced medical care.
- In accordance to a drug free workplace, alcohol and drugs are prohibited while participating in AmeriCorps and program activities and while on organization property.
Tracking Code: 1052-984
Job Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, United States
Position Type: Full-Time/Regular
Salary: 310.00 - 310.00 USD