Jewish Community Center Camp Wise General Counselor - Male (SUMMER ONLY) in Beachwood, Ohio
A counselors primary responsibility is their group of campers. Counselors are responsible for facilitating the daily routine; planning, leading, and participating in activities and programs for campers. Counselors serve as a mentor, coach, and teacher to campers are responsible for the physical, social, and emotional health, safety, and well-being. A successful camper summer is almost always tied directly to the relationship they develop with their counselor. Counselors must have patience, empathy, enthusiasm, and creativity as well as great listening and communication skills.
- Model the expectations staff set for each other and our campers
- Participate in required staff training prior to camp and staff meetings
- Serve as the primary live-in caretaker and counselor for 10-14 campers
- Responsible for facilitating the daily routine, including planning activities, and implementing programs for campers in the cabin, village, or entire camp community
- Know where campers are and need to be at all times-- making sure they are on time to meals and programs
- Create a cabin culture that feels unique through care, special cabin activities, rituals, and traditions
- Have an intimate knowledge of and take responsibility for each individual campers social, physical, and emotional health, safety, and well-being
- Encourage and support each camper in meeting their goals as related to their personal development
- Manage camper behaviors using positive behavior management techniques, enforce appropriate safety policies, emergency procedures, and camp rules
- Communicate, share responsibilities with, and work as a team with your co-staff
- Train and mentor the Staff-In-Training who are a part of your cabin
- Contribute to and participate in all camp activities (swimming is mandatory) as well as camp-wide community rituals, traditions, programs
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Camp Director and Assistant Director
- Must be 18 years old by June 3rd and have experience working with children ages 6-15
- Must be caring, empathetic, patient, hard working, and diligent professional who exhibits sound judgment
- Must take initiative and be creative, enthusiastic, open-minded and high-energy
- Must possess strong communication skills and comfort in communicating with children and peers
- Must have ability to function both independently and as part of a team
- Previous experience in a camp or similar setting preferred
- Must be available for full training and summer: June 3 - August 1
- Must be high-energy, enthusiastic, creative, and open-minded!
**Camp Wise provides a friendly, supportive, and cooperative atmosphere that fosters individual growth at each campers own pace. Campers are encouraged to learn new skills and master old ones, to make decisions, to take responsibility, to be expressive, to live with others, and to have fun. Complemented by our Jewish environment, campers develop a deeper understanding of and appreciation for Jewish heritage and traditions while also developing a true sense of community. Camp Wise is committed to making sure that every camper leaves with a greater sense of self-esteem and self-confidence; and with memories that will last a lifetime.
For more information about Camp Wise visit www.campwise.org. Interested candidates please contact Abby at firstname.lastname@example.org or (216)-593-6293. To apply online go to https://campwise.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App.
Date Posted: 04/01/2018
Title: Camp Wise General Counselor - Male (SUMMER ONLY)
JCC: Mandel JCC of Cleveland
Location: Beachwood, OH