Jewish Community Center Camp Wise Camper Care Specialist (SUMMER ONLY) in Beachwood, Ohio
**The camper care specialist is primarily responsible for elevating our care for campers across their physical, emotional, and social needs. Camper care specialists work in tandem primarily with the camp social worker, village supervisors, and cabin counselors (but, in reality, with all camp staff and supervisors) to provide additional support for campers who exhibit challenging behaviors and/or need accommodations and/or interventions to be successful in our camp program. They are supervised by the camp social worker.
- Model the expectations staff set for each other and our campers
- Participate in required staff training prior to camp and staff meetings
- Have an intimate knowledge of and take responsibility for each individual campers social, physical, and emotional health, safety, and well-being
- Having a strong understanding and awareness of the status of individual campers strengths, needs, and challenges
- Encourage and support each camper in meeting their goals as related to their personal development
- Manage camper behaviors using positive behavior management techniques, enforce appropriate safety policies, emergency procedures, and camp rules
- Communicate, share responsibilities with, and work as a team with your co-staff
- Perform other related duties as assigned by Camp Director and Assistant Director
- Creating strong communication and shared understanding between the camp social worker, village supervisors, and cabin counselors about camper challenges and progress
- Collaborating with the social worker, village supervisors, and cabin counselors to design and carry out accommodations, interventions, and specific support systems for campers to successfully participate in our program
- Being creative and flexible in developing appropriate and meaningful supports for campers with a strong understanding of the camp schedule and structure
- Managing a caseload of campers that may be executed in a 1-1 capacity or on an as-needed basis depending on campers needs
- Serving as a resource and support for campers and cabin staff across camp
- Must be 18 years old by June 1st and have experience working with children ages 6-15
- Must be caring, empathetic, patient, hard working, and diligent professional who exhibits sound judgment
- Must take initiative and be creative, enthusiastic, open-minded and high-energy
- Must possess strong communication skills and comfort in communicating with children and peers
- Must have ability to function both independently and as part of a team
- Previous experience in a camp or similar setting preferred
- Must be available for full training and summer: June 1 - August 1
- Must be high-energy, enthusiastic, creative, and open-minded!
Camp Wise provides a friendly, supportive, and cooperative atmosphere that fosters individual growth at each campers own pace. Campers are encouraged to learn new skills and master old ones, to make decisions, to take responsibility, to be expressive, to live with others, and to have fun. Complemented by our Jewish environment, campers develop a deeper understanding of and appreciation for Jewish heritage and traditions while also developing a true sense of community. Camp Wise is committed to making sure that every camper leaves with a greater sense of self-esteem and self-confidence; and with memories that will last a lifetime.
For more information about Camp Wise visit www.campwise.org. Interested candidates please contact Abby at firstname.lastname@example.org or (216)-593-6293. To apply online go to https://campwise.campintouch.com/ui/forms/application/staff/App.
Date Posted: 04/01/2018
Title: Camp Wise Camper Care Specialist (SUMMER ONLY)
JCC: Mandel JCC of Cleveland
Location: Beachwood, OH