QBE The Americas Underwriting Internship - Specialty (Summer 2017) in New York, New York
This is for a summer 2017 internship. College juniors, seniors, or graduate students working toward a degree in insurance, risk management, or any quantitative field develop functional insurance knowledge and skills related to underwriting principles, operations and concepts. Develop procedural knowledge of policy rating, risk analysis, insurance products, systems, agency management, sales, communications and business submission. Responsible for generating profitable results for QBE by working with the distribution force to grow the company's book of business. Develop a consistent underwriting approach within assigned authority, process work within defined parameters, and provide quality service to agents and insureds.
- Implementation, monitoring and follow up of effective profit improvement plans for assigned territory.
- Build relationships with agency partners via phone calls and emails that drive profitable growth
- Build relationships with other senior underwriters, underwriters, assistant underwriters, product, portfolio, optimization, claims, billing and automation groups
- Learn and model the ONEQBE values through participation in required training classes
- Develop and implement performance and developmental coaching plans with the support of your manager
- Contribute to a positive work environment by demonstrating cultural expectations such as: accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun
- Demonstrate QBE values in personal work behaviors, decision-making, contributions and interpersonal interactions; manage own career development by soliciting feedback and valuing other perspectives
Bachelor's Degree or progression toward a bachelor's degreePreferred Qualifications
* Principles and processes for providing customer service
* Terminology, function and fundamental capabilities of common computer, software, information and communication technology devices, components, and concepts
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook Skills
* Follow established guidelines to focus on details and complete tasks attentively and thoroughly
* Communicate information in a clear, well-organized, and professional manner
* Understand customer needs and goals actively look for ways to meet them
* Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others
* Multi-task and handle competing priorities
* Escalate issues when necessary Abilities
* Accept responsibility for one's decisions and actions
* Show drive and initiative
* Be a willing, effective, and efficient learner
* Professional, polished, poised and positive demeanor
* Demonstrated interest in enhancing knowledge; seeks opportunities to learn and grow
* Use multiple resources to gather and review information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems
* Ability to retain and apply large amounts of new information and techniques to achieve desired resultsWork environment
General office jobs
Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is not substantial exposure to adverse environmental conditions. Must have the ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Must be able to operate basic office equipment including telephone, headset and computer. Incumbent must be able to lift basic office equipment up to 20 pounds.
To successfully perform this job, the individual must be able to perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
The duties listed in this job description do not limit the assignment of work. They are not to be construed as a complete list of the duties normally to be performed in the position or those occasionally assigned outside an employee's normal duties.
Number of Openings:0
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click "Apply" and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The companies of QBE North America are committed to equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, citizenship, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. All personal information contained in this application will be kept confidential as required by law.