Kiewit Corporation Field / Office Engineer Summer 2018 Intern - Kiewit Bridge & Marine District in Nationwide, Washington
Date: Oct 11, 2017
Location: Nationwide, WA, US
Requisition ID: 68284
Kiewit is one of North America's largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. With its roots dating back to 1884, the employee-owned company operates through a network of offices and projects in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Australia. Kiewit offers construction and engineering services in a variety of markets including transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building and mining. Kiewit had 2016 revenues of $8.6 billion and employs more than 20,000 staff and craft employees.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Consistently recognized as one of the best places to work in North America and in 2015, named one of Fortune’s Most Admired Companies
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development
• Internships are a great opportunity to explore many different specialty construction and engineering areas within Kiewit and get important hands-on experience
• Our interns have meaningful relations to the industry's top talent for guidance, and have significant responsibilities in real world areas of the Kiewit organization
• Our long-standing internship program has launched many Kiewit careers, including our Chairman and CEO’s
Are you interested in being able to travel the country while working on complex projects that improve our economy and future? How about having an opportunity to work on projects in numerous sectors? We are dedicated to the growth and success of our employees, and we have built a merit based culture and business approach that promotes lifelong learning. We are looking for the next generation of workers who strive for excellence and have the drive and desire that it takes to work in the fast paced, heavy construction environment.
We have projects all across the United States, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate anywhere in the country, as frequently as business needs require.
Kiewit’s Bridge & Marine District is headquartered in Vancouver, Washington. We primarily perform heavy civil projects specializing in earth moving, technical and traditional bridges, marine, water resources, transportation, roadways, and underground utilities, while developing builders who will lead the company into the future.
As an intern you will be introduced to a variety of office and field activities as well as estimating in order to develop your understanding of construction. You can expect to spend time learning and working on shop drawings, submittals, schedules, take offs, pay requests, contract changes and project documentation. While learning these things you will have the opportunity to build complex projects that make a profound impact on communities. We are looking for people committed to the construction industry and not design.
• Work with a vibrant and diverse team to build, estimate, and schedule mechanical, civil, electrical and heavy industrial construction.
• Support both administrative and construction activities as assigned by supervisor; review proposals, specifications and drawings, perform material takeoffs, prepare cost estimates and attend pre-bid investigation meetings.
• Learn to supervise subcontractors and communicate with vendors.
• Prepare work plans, assure quality control, manage and track costs and materials, schedule equipment, administer safety programs and maintain exceptional owner relations.
• Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
• Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
• Investigating problems and/or reported incidents; identifying and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
• Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
• Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
• Pursuing an undergraduate degree in engineering, construction management or related degree, or equivalent experience in a construction-related position
• Committed to the construction industry and not the design industry
• Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic – highly motivated and willing to do what it takes to get the job done right
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Job Segment: Construction, Intern, Engineer, Electrical, QC, Engineering, Entry Level, Quality