Google Software Engineering Intern, BS/MS, Summer 2018 in Kirkland, Washington
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Los Angeles, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; Mountain View, CA, USA; Irvine, CA, USA; Cambridge, MA, USA; New York, NY, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; Boulder, CO, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Chicago, IL, USA
Applications will be accepted until November 3, 2017 at 11:59PM PT. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and it's in the candidate's best interest to apply early.
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, executive speaker series, and community-building. This program will give you an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, develop scalable, distributed software systems and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal - which requires research, awareness, interactivity, and asking questions.
From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another. We focus on being a collaborative, global organization consisting of engineers who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will work on our core products and services as well as those who support critical functions of our engineering operations. Depending on your background and experience, you will be working in one of the following areas:
Product and Systems Development Whether it's finding new and innovative ways to advance search quality, building computing platform and networking technologies, automating the indexing of videos, or continuing to refine and scale complex auction systems (just to name a few), you will be developing solutions to some of the most challenging technical problems out there. You will research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google's product offerings and collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information. Examples of specialist domains: UI development with AJAX and similar technologies, security, embedded systems and mobile apps (Android), developer tools (IDEs, large-scale build systems, compilers).
Engineering Productivity As a Software Engineer in the Engineering Productivity organization, you'll use your software design, analysis and programming skills to create innovative automated test systems. The test team undertakes a broad range of challenges on a daily basis, designing and building intelligent systems that can explore various use cases and scenarios for distributed computing infrastructure. Just imagine trying to design and build an automated testing system for something that's never been done before.
Site Reliability Software Engineers working in Site Reliability are involved in every facet of Google's production and work on the cutting edge of cloud-based computing. As a member of this team you are in the thick of everything involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting-edge services; from monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. Software engineers on this team love to create robust and scalable software that scale to tens of millions of users. You will handle challenging, novel situations every day, and work with just about every other engineering and operations team to provide services and applications that are quintessentially Google - fast, reliable and accessible to all.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Apply knowledge gained in computer science courses to real-world problems.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution to effectively solve problems.
- Develop scripts to automate routine tasks.
- Create and support a productive and innovative team. This includes working with peers, managers, and teams.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelor's in Computer Science or related technical field, returning to BA/BS program or enrolled in another full-time degree program after completion of the internship.
- Completed projects (inside or outside of school) or classes focused on Data Structures and Algorithms; experience with algorithms, using data structures to solve problems, and interpreting algorithms and contributing ideas to their development.
- Experience with linear coding and use language features when necessary (e.g., data structures, branching, function-calls, and conditionals).
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related technical field with an expected graduation date in 2019.
- Ability to manipulate code to improve system availability and latency and optimize code for stability, functionality and scalability for a segment of Google's infrastructure, service area, or within a technology domain (e.g., crawling, search, troubleshooting).
- Ability to isolate problems to a database subsystem.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.