Sandia National Laboratories Intern - Software Systems R&D Graduate Summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico
An opportunity exists for a graduate student summer research experience with the Mathematics & Analytics Research Technical Internship for Advanced National Security (MARTIANS). The work will consist of researching and implementing models and algorithms related to machine learning, data science, or imaging systems for non-destructive evaluation applications. This work calls for innovation and critical thinking skills in mathematics and computer science. Student is expected to present results through presentation, publication, or submission of a Technology Advance.
You bring the confidence and skills to be eligible for the job by meeting these minimum requirements:
- Earned bachelor's degree
- Currently attending and enrolled full time (or scheduled to graduate in the spring) in an accredited science, engineering, or math graduate program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Ability to work up to 40 hours per week during the summer
- U.S. citizenship
- Completion of the following mathematics courses: Three semesters of Calculus including Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations (ODE or PDE), and one semester of: Linear Algebra, Numerical Analysis, or Mathematical Modeling
- Programming Language experience in Java, C, and/or C++
- Experience with MATLAB
Note: If you have not yet started your graduate program, please apply to an undergraduate intern position.
- Evidence of strong academic performance, typically represented by an undergraduate GPA greater than 3.5/4.0 and graduate GPA greater than 3.7/4.0.
- Experience with research and application of machine learning algorithms.
- Experience in developing supervised/unsupervised models incorporating structured/unstructured data with rigorous methodology.
- Experience with modeling imaging systems.
- Experience with multi-threaded programming.
- Prior research experience including giving oral and poster research presentations.
- Familiarity with the mathematics behind radiological imaging systems.
- Strong technical writing skills.
Our department delivers innovative, elegant, and robust software solutions for mission critical applications. We take pride in our passion for the high quality that permeates our software products. Our foundational expertise is in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering, and mathematics. Additional proficiencies are machine learning, informatics, GPU technology, and high performance computing. We constantly strive to expand and discover knowledge in emerging technologies through our algorithmic research activities, with an eye toward the appropriate selection and application of research discoveries to address real and pressing national security concerns.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
Equal opportunity employer/Disability/Vet/GLBT